Friday, January 23, 2009

Farewell to an Ice Colleague

This week I lost a dear friend and colleague, Dr. Matt Florczyk, to a long illness.  I first knew Matt as a graduate student in our Biomedical Sciences program, and later as an ice hockey teammate with the Albany Lab Rats. He was an incredibly gifted young man, both athletically and intellectually, with a warm, compassionate personality. 

I shed blood with him during hockey games; tonight I shed tears, missing him on the ice.
______________
Matt's obituary and information on a memorial fund can be found here.


1 comment:

  1. Hi. I worked with Matt many years ago when we were in high school, and also spent a year at the same college with him. I found out he passed away two days ago, and i went looking for more information, pictures, anything more about his life. Everything you say about him is true. He was a few years older than me, so we weren't the closest of friends, but I always had the feeling he had my back. I'd also like to add that he had an incredibly funny guy! i think that's what i will miss most of all, but it's also what will help me smile whenever i stop to remember him. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete